Prohibiting sexual orientation change therapy for minors. These bills would ban licensed therapists from providing sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE) for minors. Under these bills, minors can not receive help from the therapist, even if the minor and the parents of the minor agreed that they wanted it, and it was in the best interest of the minor to get the therapy.
Preliminary Talking Points
- Everyone has the freedom and the right to resolve unmet emotional needs
- Parents have the right to guide the upbringing and care of their children
- This bill legislates gender dysphoric children onto a path of experimental puberty blockers and toxic sex-change hormones, that often sterilize them for life, having their breasts chopped off, and potentially castration, all before they are old enough to drive, yet forbids them talk therapy.
- The following organizations support therapy that helps minors who have unwanted sexual attraction or gender identity feelings to go on their journey and become able to love who they want and love their body: American Association of Physicians and Surgeons, American College of Pediatricians, American Association of Christian Counselors, Christian Medical and Dental Association, Catholic Medical Association, and Alliance for Therapeutic Choice and Scientific Integrity. Collectively, these organizations comprise over 100,000 licensed mental and medical health practitioners who value the right of self-determination for clients and their families.
- The following pro-gay organizations support psychotherapy that treats psychological causes—and not social or medical transitioning—for gender dysphoric minors: YouthTransCritical Professionals—a mental health professional organization, and 4thWaveNow—an organization of professionals, strugglers, and families.
- Lisa Bell, LCSW, co-founder of Youth Gender Professionals states, “We are pro-gay rights health professionals who oppose laws that require affirming children’s nontraditional gender identity without extensive assessment, differential diagnosis, and active exploration. Research suggests that affirmation increases persistence, sending children down a path of dangerous hormones and surgeries. Therapists must be allowed to offer support to a young person who experiences gender dysphoria while investigating psychodynamic and social factors behind a discordant gender identity. Providing alternative ways of ameliorating dysphoria in this context is not conversion therapy and should not be banned.” (www.youthtranscriticalprofessionals.org)
- Dr. Michelle Cretella, president of the American College of Pediatricians states, “These bills require therapists affirm young children as transgender which guarantees that many minors will be permanently sterilized under the guise of treating gender dysphoria – a condition that would otherwise resolve in up to 95% of them with therapy that either affirms biological sex or promotes watchful waiting. This is criminal.” (www.acpeds.org)