Arlene's Flowers FAQs
by Joseph Backholm | April 9, 2013
Yesterday, newly elected Attorney General Bob Ferguson filed a lawsuit against a florist in Richland, Washington because she declined to provide floral arrangements to a same-sex wedding ceremony. Arlene's Flowers is a small busines whose owner, Barronelle Stutzman, had served this customer for years. She knew he was gay, and it was never an issue, because she's happy to serve everybody...read more
by Joseph Backholm | April 15, 2013
The story of Arlene’s Flowers, a Richland, Washington florist who declined the chance to provide flowers for a same-sex wedding, has now garnered national attention. Given the nature of the issue, it is likely to be a significant story for a long time. The situation is not entirely unusual. Many other businesses and professionals have faced legal trouble because of their beliefs about marriage and homosexuality...read more
HOW CAN I SUPPORT ARLENE'S FLOWERS?
1) Contribute to Arlene's Flowers Legal Defense Fund UPDATE: We want to thank you so much for your tremendous support of Arlene’s Flowers through the legal defense fund. People from all over the country have given thousands of dollars to help defray the legal costs involved with this lawsuit. In the last week, our friends at the Alliance Defending Freedom have stepped into the role as the lead attorney’s for Arlene’s Flowers. As a legal defense organization, they do all their legal work pro-bono. Therefore, the on-going need to fund legal work has been dramatically reduced. There is local counsel who is also working on the case, and the funds that have already been contributed will be used for that purpose. However, if you wish to make a contribution specifically to support the legal team of Arlene’s Flowers, please make a tax deductible contribution to the Alliance Defending Freedom.
2) CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS at 800-562-6000 and ATTORNEY GENERAL BOB FERGUSON at 360-753-6200 to express your support of the constitutional rights of Barronelle Stutzman, the owner of Arlene’s Flowers:
a. Freedom of Religion
• The Constitution protects Americans from being forced by the government to advance ideas that violate their beliefs and has no business demanding that citizens abandon their faith in order to avoid fines and imprisonment.
• Americans don’t have to surrender their beliefs in order to make a living, to provide jobs, and to serve their communities.
• Arlene’s Flowers serves everyone in the community, but what it won’t do is violate the family’s biblical belief that marriage is defined only as a union of husband and wife.
b. Freedom of Speech
• Artistic expression is a constitutionally recognized and protected form of speech. In the same way that your right to speak is protected by the First Amendment, so is your right not to speak. In this case, Arlene’s Flowers is simply choosing not to speak in this venue.
c. Freedom of Expression
• A Christian artist should not be forced to promote homosexuality, just as a homosexual artist should not be forced by the state to promote Christianity.
• An artist may by hired, but in America, an artist cannot be forced into involuntary servitude by the state.
d. Free Enterprise
• America is supposed to be a free marketplace of ideas where citizens are able to express, live and work according to their beliefs. Family businesses are guaranteed the freedom to live and do business according to the family’s deepest beliefs.
3) HAND DELIVER AN ARLENE’S FLOWER to Attorney General Bob Ferguson at 1125 Washington St SE, Olympia, WA 98504.
4) WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR to share your thoughts about this issue with your local community.
5) CONTACT YOUR LOCAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE to create local support for free enterprise for business owners.
6) HOST A LOCAL ORGANIZING EVENT to discuss how to educate your elected officials, as well as your community, about the need for religious freedom protections in Washington State.
7) RECEIVE UPDATES AND INFORM YOUR FRIENDS across the state by subscribing to FPIW news and alerts at FPIW.org! Select “I want to join TEAM ARLENE” as your subscription interest.
8) BUY FLOWERS FROM ARLENE’S! 1177 Lee Blvd, Richland, WA 9935 (800) 692-0706 • www.arlenesflowers.net