Public Disclosure Commission records show that at least twelve different Planned Parenthood-affiliated entities directly influenced Washington elections in October.
Three of these entities, Planned Parenthood Votes Northwest, Planned Parenthood Votes! Washington, and Planned Parenthood Votes Northwest Washington PAC, made a total of 170 separate independent expenditures totaling $243,769.26.
This total does not include an additional $9,000 in direct cash contributions that these entities gave to campaigns.
State law allows certain types entities to spend money to influence campaigns through independent expenditures, however, Planned Parenthood, an organization that routinely receives $500 million or more every year from government sources, is already under scrutiny for giving $75,000 to the Planned Parenthood Votes Washington PAC in September.
Previous PDC records showed that “Planned Parenthood” in New York City made the contribution. Senator Mike Padden sent a 45-day letter to Attorney General Bob Ferguson formally asking the AG’s office to investigate if this contribution was made using taxpayer funds, a violation of federal law.
The Attorney General himself has received $2,717.05 in support from Planned Parenthood.
Other races Planned Parenthood spent money to influence in October include:
- $56,467.21 to promote Democrat Marisa Peloquin over Republican Steve O’Ban in District 28
- $43,332.08 to promote Democrat Lisa Wellman over Republican Steve Litzow in Senate District 41
- $20,083.28 to promote Democrats Mike Pellicciotti and Kristine Reeves over Republicans Teri Hickel and Linda Kochmar in House District 30
- $19,721.40 to promote Democrat Tim Probst over Lynda Wilson in Senate District 17
- $7,401.15 to influence the State Supreme Court elections
- $5,574.26 to influence the Superintendent of Public Instruction Race
- $4,293.94 to influence the Insurance Commissioner’s Race
- $2,694.78 to influence the State Auditor’s Race
- $2,467.05 to influence the Secretary of State’s Race
- $1,738.02 to influence the Minimum Wage Initiative and Gun Access Reform Initiative
You can see the full list of contributions here.
All contributions were made on behalf of Democrats, with the exdeption of Republican Michael Waite who is one of two Republican candidates running for State Treasurer.
Planned Parenthood is spending vigorously to protect their power and influence in Olympia. They’re continuing their federal lawsuit against FPIW as well, hoping to keep public records from being released about the group’s activities in Washington.
If you’d like to help counter the influence of Planned Parenthood in our state, and would like to invest in pro-life, pro-family causes, please consider financially supporting our work.