North Carolina Governor Under Attack for Protecting Women and Children

 

When North Carolina’s Governor, Pat McCrory, signed House Bill 2 into law, he knew that it would bring on a fight.

The bill, which was drafted and passed in an emergency session following the Charlotte city council’s vote to open bathrooms and locker rooms based on internal identification, was passed by both chambers and sent to the Governor’s desk for signature.  It was signed without hesitation.

Since it’s passage, the CEO’s of over 80 companies, including Apple, Facebook, and Charlotte-based Bank of America have signed onto a letter urging reversal of the law, claiming that the new law that seeks to protect safety and keep proper order in public locker rooms and bathrooms is, “bad for business.”  Several governors and mayors from around the United States have banned travel to the state until the law is reversed. The NBA has insinuated that it might pull its 2017 All-Star Game from the state.

But Governor Pat McCrory insists that the law does not remove any protections for those who choose to live as another gender, and has, to this point, remained steadfast in making sure the law protecting North Carolinians remains in effect.

Tuesday, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and several other LGBT advocacy organizations filed a federal lawsuit against Governor McCrory, also naming North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper as a defendant in the suit, claiming that the new law violates the rights of transgendered people.

Subsequently, Attorney General Cooper said that he would not defend North Carolina’s new law, violating the oath he swore when entering office.

I, Roy Cooper, do solemnly swear that I will well and truly serve the State of North Carolina in the office of Attorney General. I will, in the execution of my office, endeavor to have the criminal laws fairly and impartially administered, so far as in me lies, according to the best of my knowledge and ability; so help me, God.

Attorney General Roy Cooper is planning to run against Governor McCrory in his reelection campaign this fall.

North Carolina Family Policy Council President John Rustin called the lawsuit “an appalling and inexcusable effort to supersede common sense laws in North Carolina.”  The group says that, if the lawsuit effort is successful, Charlotte’s nonsensical ordinance could be applied not just in Charlotte, but statewide.

Following filing of the lawsuit, Governor McCrory released this video to residents of North Carolina:

FPIW stands with the North Carolina Family Policy Council, Governor Patrick McCrory, and all North Carolinians in their quest to protect women and children from men in locker rooms.  You can follow the efforts to defeat this dangerous ruling in Washington by visiting the Just Want Privacy Campaign.

FPIW’s citizen training program, Olympia 101, has a few spots left for this Friday’s citizen training program.  Sign up to learn how to better engage in good public policy in our state!

2 replies
  1. Lara Updike
    Lara Updike says:

    Lately American politics seems more like parody than reality. I think Obama should just issue an executive order outlawing gender because without gender life would be so much more fair and equality much easier to achieve.

    Reply
  2. K
    K says:

    I wish we had him as a governer… Ours just makes trouble for other states… I’m ready to boycott Starbucks for their stand against this bill!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.