The Florida-based American College of Pediatricians has released a statement that urges lawmakers, educators, and citizens around the United States to reject the normalizing of surgical or chemical impersonation of the opposite sex to children.
This statement comes on the heels of efforts by activists in several states to normalize and promote a concept of gender fluidity — where an individual can change their gender identity and presentation, without regard for biological realities.
The statement makes eight points, affirming the belief of many in the medical community that the social experiment of gender fluidity is not, in fact, a scientific truth, but rather a state of confusion and willful ignorance of biological reality.
- Human sexuality is an objective biological binary trait: “XY” and “XX” are genetic markers of health – not genetic markers of a disorder.
- No one is born with a gender. Everyone is born with a biological sex. Gender (an awareness and sense of oneself as male or female) is a sociological and psychological concept; not an objective biological one.
- A person’s belief that he or she is something they are not is, at best, a sign of confused thinking.
- Puberty is not a disease and puberty-blocking hormones can be dangerous.
- According to the DSM-V, as many as 98% of gender confused boys and 88% of gender confused girls eventually accept their biological sex after naturally passing through puberty.
- Children who use puberty blockers to impersonate the opposite sex will require cross-sex hormones in late adolescence. Cross-sex hormones are associated with dangerous health risks including but not limited to high blood pressure, blood clots, stroke and cancer.
- Rates of suicide are twenty times greater among adults who use cross-sex hormones and undergo sex reassignment surgery, even in Sweden which is among the most LGBQT – affirming countries.
- Conditioning children into believing a lifetime of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse.
You can read the rest of the statement here, and leave your comments below.