Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner is Still a Man

The Emperor’s New Clothes is an illustration about peer pressure. But I always thought it was an overstatement.

Of course peer pressure is real, but the prospect of a crowd actually gathering to cheer the clothes of a naked emperor was simply too ridiculous to take seriously.

Until yesterday.

Yesterday, was the day that former Olympic Champion Bruce Jenner revealed his new identity as “Caitlyn” through the release of photo’s in Vanity Fair Magazine.

The pictures are remarkable.

They demonstrate what’s possible with surgery and airbrushing.

But the avalanche of congratulations and plaudits for finding “your truth” proves something else entirely. They prove the adage that there is nothing so ridiculous that if you say it often enough people will believe it.

Or, in biblical terms, “Professing to be wise they became fools.” (Romans 1:22)

Feeling the need to whisper when stating the obvious feels odd.

But the fact is, Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner is a still man.

Once upon a time, in a land far away, a Y chromosome from Jenner’s father met an X chromosome from Jenner’s mother. The result was the biological reality of a male person. They called him Bruce Jenner.

He was not consulted.

However, if anthropologists stumble upon Jenner’s remains thousands of years from now, they might know nothing of his surgeries or personal struggles, but those stubborn chromosomes would betray his maleness, even if the whole parade shouted from the grave, “But, but…she’s a woman!”

It’s true that I don’t understand what it’s like to be “transgender” and feel stuck in the wrong body.

As best as I am able, I’m sympathetic to what is clearly a challenging situation because I do understand what it feels like to believe I’d be happier if reality was different than it is.

Don’t we all?

My concern is not with the desire to wish things were different, or even the impulse to take radical steps taken to make thing seem different.

My concern is with how thoughtlessly people join the fantasy that things actually are different.

Is the man with the toupee and six-inch elevator shoes no longer bald and short…er?

“But we’re progressing,” you say.

Great.

Next time I take my vertically challenged progeny to Disneyland, I will be sure to inform the staff that all of my children feel tall enough to go on the ride and therefore we’d appreciate it if they would step aside so my kids can live their truth.

Or maybe I’ll just explain that they’re still “transitioning.”

Like your date of birth and your species, the selection of your gender was determined the moment you became a zygote.

You can take steps to change appearances, but that’s all you’ve done.

Anti-aging treatments and cosmetic surgery can make one look younger, but they cannot change your age.

If you can be convinced that a man becomes a woman after surgery, you can likely be convinced of anything provided there are enough people with good intentions and pouty faces telling you it’s true.

What about the eighty-pound anorexic convinced she’ll be happy if she loses just a few more pounds or the “transabled” person who believes he would be much happier if his healthy body were disabled?

Are you going to hurt their feelings?

I certainly hope so.

Facts are not the same as feelings, opinions, or preferences.

We better figure out that difference. Soon.

Otherwise, we actually will be holding parades to celebrate the clothes of naked emperors.

50 replies
  1. jimbo
    jimbo says:

Actually your sex was determined when you were a zygote, not your gender. Also, she was a woman before the surgery. The surgery changed her physical appearance not her gender. Like if your dick/vagina was lost in a terrible crotch accident you would still be a man/woman because you believe you are and feel like you are a man/woman, body parts or no body parts. It’s like saying that cancer causing me to remove both of my breasts would mean I stopped being a woman and instead became a man because I lost a predominant female part. Before you go into chromosomes again the X and Y chromosomes together contain genes that have alleles that represent themselves chemically which then cause physical characteristics to pop up. So yeah her Y chromosome made her ovaries become testes and her clitoris to become a penis. That’s it. Not magically and certainly not particularly importantly. Again I pose the question that if a birth defect caused a intersex baby or one with malformed genitals then what does that baby become? If you’re putting so much faith in the chromosomes then you may be screwed if the previous happens because then you’ll have to, god forbid, chose the babies sex for it! Which in tern means your choosing its gender. Hey, kinda like how having a penis made jenners parents and society treat her like a man despite what she felt. All because her innie was an outtie.

2. Kat
    Kat says:

He is still male and will always be. Genetics prove it. His poor kids, grandkids, and ex wives. What his responsibility to them?

3. Jenny
    Jenny says:

Back in the day we called these men in dresses, drag queens. Now we have the politically correct “transgender”. This is the tip of the iceberg when in comes to how sick our society has become. Of course, God has the last say.

4. Sandy White
    Sandy White says:

Many good comments and a very well written point of view on Mr. Jenner. My comment is that it is the “truth that will set you free” and Mr. Jenner has not faced the truth. Until then he will be misguided and by promotion the world will applaud all his error. Those who accept his version of “truth” will follow down that same road, ending in destruction. This is so very sad, and all because of rejecting God’s truth. God loves Mr. Jenner, He made him, but He will not force Mr. Jenner to accept His truth. We have free will to follow God and His ways or walk in our own to destruction. It doesn’t have to be that way, it is OUR choice and we alone will pay the consequences of our choices. Mr. Jenner needs prayer, not for others to applaud his wrong choices.

5. Sam Knox
    Sam Knox says:

Here’s my perspective as an atheist: Jenner’s transition harms no one, and appears to improve the quality of his life. To the extent that I think about it at all, I’m happy for her.

Your blog post does nothing but state what is patently obvious to anyone over the age of nine, in a childish and mean-spirited way. No one believes that surgery or hormone therapy changes DNA.

And you wonder why more and more people are refusing to join a church.

• Joseph Backholm
      Joseph Backholm says:

I understand the sentiment. The intent was not to be childish and mean-spirited, but when you test the logic involved in any way it does quickly enter the realm of the absurd.

I think we need to think about how we are impacting those who are younger than 9 when we celebrate “personal” decisions placed on the front of national magazines and discussed in every media outlet there is. If we teach children that reality is what you want it to be, we create problems for ourselves.

And while I certainly don’t wish him any harm, I believe he is harming himself and anyone who were to follow his example would be doing the same. There is lots of evidence that sex change operations don’t make people happier (http://www.firstthings.com/article/2004/11/surgical-sex) which is why hospitals like John’s Hopkins stopped doing them.

Ultimateley, I think those trying to be happy are always the most miserable and those least concerned with their own happiness are always the most content.

• C
        C says:

I agree Jenner will never be a woman. But honestly that’s not our decision to decide that. How do you decide what this person is. You’ve accepted who you are, great for you! But others aren’t gonna lie and go through dysphoria and hating themselves to jump out and tell you “hey I’m a man” . Thanks for stating the obvious. Now let’s get to the real thing. She believes she’s born in the wrong body, now she’s happy herself because finally you can be who you want to be. If I walked up to you and called anyone the opposite of what they feel how many of you would fight to defend yourselves? Everyone! People need to grow up and worry about their own lives other than someone else’s. Honestly, we as a society pick and choose who to outcast every generation and that’s pathetic;and I feel bad that we live in a society where you can’t even be yourself. If you do, you get killed for it. Is this really what we do? My biggest question is, once we overcome the obstacle of transcended in society who else are we gonna try to disapprove?? Because we are being distracted by issues that are nonsense and stupid. I can tell you that the people working hard in this economy don’t even have time to worship the clothes of a naked emperor.

• Jenny
      Jenny says:

I don’t wonder why more and more people are refusing to join a church. It is because they don’t want to know God, hear God, love God or love God’s people…they want to BE GOD. You say you are an atheist. What do you care if people go to church or not.

• jimbo
        jimbo says:

Or maybe we believe in another god (there are so many to choose from and most aren’t as violent and judgmental as your god).

• jc
      jc says:

Yes he is doing harm and the median is doing harm. Children are going to see this and if they are going through emotional issue they may see this as a good alternative in only to get attention and love. I pray that bruce finds pece

• C
        C says:

I guarantee you caitlyn is at peace. I just don’t think “people” are at peace with her choices. Which are what they are “HER CHOICES” . I wish people would understand that.

• Dazman
      Dazman says:

Actually he is harming people by not having the guts to face up to his problems & instead deceive people by stating he is something he is not. I struggle with ocd but I don`t go around appearing on Oprah W type shows and instead face up to my problems. That takes courage. What he`s doing is not courageous.

• C
        C says:

She is something she is. She just isn’t something you want to accept. If God judges all people in the end then why does it matter?

6. Alex
    Alex says:

I appreciate what you wrote here Joseph. I must say so many of these thoughts have been in my head of late as well and I have been unsure of how to gracefully communicate them. But going beyond this, once we recognize that we should not commend Jenner’s decision, we must also consider how to love Jenner the person, as well as any people in the same situation who enter the church. I faced this situation with a youth group student once and I must admit I was at a loss for how to truly handle it. Our love, like Jesus’s, must know no boundaries. Ultimately though, we must decide what it actually means to love someone. Does it mean accepting them completely, or does it mean pointing out when they are doing something harmful to themselves? Or is the answer somewhere in between?

• C
      C says:

Hard to say, I believe if Jesus never took the path to die for us and was just a man we kept telling to “wipe those thoughts out of his head, you are just a carpenter” what would be of people? She isn’t harming herself or you. Is she telling people to transition? No? Being bribed? Nope. But what she is doing is making you uneasy. Why is that? I wish people would understand that lives aren’t a Rulebook and people shouldn’t be born to fit in and go with the dynamic.

7. Randy Miller
    Randy Miller says:

I think this is a perfect example of too much time, money and education being wasted on trying to change Gods’ work.Ignoring it won’t make it go away but at least they wouldn’t glorify it by putting it in front of you through the media. And as a Christian I disagree with the entire leftist movement that we need to teach these lifestyles to our children through the public education system.

• jimbo
      jimbo says:

God gets it wrong sometimes you know. I mean he’s had to wipe the slate clean so many times with plagues, floods and city demolitions it’s pretty obvious he doesn’t always hit the mark. I’m sure he tries to but we all make mistakes.

8. Jordan
    Jordan says:

Despite all the “foolishness of men” being offered and accepted in today’s society, I rejoice in the light of the gospel!
    It’s enlightening to contrast truth with its opposite.

• Leeann
      Leeann says:

Well said Jordan. Truthfully we are all here to work out our own individual salvation. Thankfully, we all have freedom to choose; and I too recognize the hand of our Lord and Savior in His Heavenly Father’s plan for us.

9. Vicki
    Vicki says:

It’s ironic because the LBGT community and their supporters would have you believe that gender doesn’t matter, that it’s interchangeable and you should be able to love whomever you want. We know that isn’t true, of course, because gender becomes a crucial issue when it comes to procreating and propagating the species. Nature’s laws do not change at the whim of society or respond to who shouts the loudest. I find it interesting, however, that if they truly believe that gender doesn’t matter, why must one go to such extraordinary lengths to switch from the one you “don’t like” to the one you think you might like better?

• jimbo
      jimbo says:

She didn’t switch. If she continued looking like she did but being the woman she is inside she would have been ridiculed. This was the only way for (most of) society to accept her and take her seriously. Again gender has nothing to do with sex. Sex is important for well sex. You don’t need a mummy and a daddy just a penis and a vagina.

10. Linda M
    Linda M says:

Thank you for your srticle. What I’ve learned from this event is that if as a society we don’t even know what defines man or woman, how can we care who marries whom. If gender is fluid it changes all the rules. This is madness ,and our society must come to ruin

11. Diana
    Diana says:

So true. I am albino. I would like to have color in my skin and see perfectly. Guess what? I can change the color of my hair, skin and even eyes with contacts, but I will still be albino. My kids carry the gene and it may show up again down the line. God made us the way we are for a purpose we need to discover on this earthly journey.
    Thank you.
    Please proof read before posting. I am a terrible speller, but I noticed some errors in your post.

12. Anna
    Anna says:

Sadly, we will likely be attending a LOT of parades where the “honored” participants will be bereft of proper clothing. But the reporting will extol the excellence of the garments and promote the good intentions illustrated by their behavior. We are definitely on the down side of the slippery slope…

13. Moki
    Moki says:

I do not think that Joseph Backholm is being hateful or making fun of Jenner in this opinion piece. Not at all. He is pointing out the absurdity of society at large playing “let’s pretend” and demanding that everyone immediately accept, promote and celebrate this fantastic confusion. And that is what it is. In any other time and place, this would be seen as absurd. Not comic, but tragic. And even as some form of mental illness. And, let me be clear, to say so does not make one bigoted, hateful, unfeeling or lacking in compassion for Jenner. It is a situation that calls for great compassion. It does not, however, call for promotion and celebration.

• jimbo
      jimbo says:

You are SO right. Lets go back to the days where homosexuality was a mental illness too. I hear those years were super fun and inclusive.

14. Diana McAlister
    Diana McAlister says:

Backholm has it right. My opinion doesn’t matter. Science studies reveal the combination of X and Y chromosomes and they don’t change. That fact is basic biology, not hate, not choice, not feeling. Some on this thread may want or need to revisit scientific truth.

15. Patti
    Patti says:

Thank you for your article. It is well said and factual. God created each of us as a male or a female, period. We get no choice. God is good and knows who was ro be a male or a female; not both.

• jimbo
      jimbo says:

So does God have a sex? I’m just asking because he ‘created us in his image’ and surely a cosmic being doesn’t need a gender or sex so ipso facto what does he care what we identify as? We weren’t even supposed to procreate in the beginning before Eve ate that stupid apple.

16. Evangeline Parsons
    Evangeline Parsons says:

Gender is not the same as sex. Gender, by one definition, is a grammatical category often incorporating sex differences as one of its attributes but many in the same category can be inanimate objects. An example from French illustrates this: une femme ‘a woman’; une plume ‘a pen’. Both of these are in the same gender category, namely feminine. But only une femme is female, a sex category.

So it is with transgender people. While they may not be able to alter their X and/or Y chromosomes, that is clearly not the sole determinant of which societal category they belong to. It is not for others to tell them which role in life they must be forced to follow.

On the other hand, there may always be those who reject the difference between genitalia and everything else that goes into the composition of a human being, including their gender roles.. Such is the category of rejection Mr. Backholm has chosen for himself. I prefer compassion over ridicule and mockery

• Joseph Backholm
      Joseph Backholm says:

This has nothing to do with “roles”. It has to do with a man insisting that everyone pretend he is not a man. By acknowledging the biological reality of his maleness, I am not ridiculing or mocking. What might appear to be mockery is the recognition that the argument being used in this situation is absurd in any other situation. Which, when acknowledged, should lead one to revisit the strength of their argument.

• cheryl
        cheryl says:

The mere fact we are having to talk about this is sad. If people just want to change why do we all have to be subjected to it. The plight of LGBT has been likened to the African American racial movement. Over four hundred years we were persecuted, when we did rise up, we were called radical and many were killed for standing up.
        But you didn’t see us taking out ads in Vanity fair when we had victories in the civil rights movement.
        As one who proclaims Christ, I am not pleased how the media has taken hold of this perversion of sexuality and exploited it so horribly. But that this is just another sign that we need to pray without ceasing and continue to stand for what is right. Love covers a multitude of faults, but it also represents truth and honesty.

Frankly, I could care less for Bruce and all the Kardashians, but those that we are raising do, and that is the biggest atrocity to this media exploitation and make believe. We need to continue to pray and educate our children.
        COntinue to give the word to them. Also pray for the many that are like Bruce, that is trying to find themself. I am thinking about a young person right now, who thinks this is all that makes him whole. But you can change the outside all you want, but you are still jacked on the inside with the same hurt and pain. That is what we need to truly pray for and love!

17. Kathy
    Kathy says:

I’m ashamed of your words and what that came from your organization. As a family institute and a Christian organization we should never be caught making fun of others. Jesus said, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” not “Do to others what you want to do.”
    If we do not understand trans or gay people, we should also not make any judgements about them. Don’t give advice to someone unless you have “walked” in their shoes.
    Jesus also asked us to “love” each other. to “love” our enemy and do good to those who hurt you. What kind of a message does this send to the world when Christians are always bashing other people or groups for how they live outside the biblical perameters. God does not ask us to judge or to convict. He only asks us to love!!!

• Barb
      Barb says:

Read the bible before you speak of what Jesus says. He says…repent and sin no more…and homosexuality and destroying the body God gives us is all sin… We’re not bashing the man…just the sin…He obviously has been a very unhappy person all his life..never giving thanks to God for all he is..or should I say…was.

• jimbo
        jimbo says:

“Punish the sin not the sinner”. That’s not from the bible that’s from the film silent hill when they torch a little girl for being born out of wedlock. Your comment made me think of that scene. Congrats!

• Dazman
      Dazman says:

I`m ashamed that you haven`t read the article properly because he ain`t being mean to the Jen man. In terms of the ‘do not judge’ comment, well you`re wrong because people can make judgments. Telling the world that the Jen man is still a man would be acting in love. Agreeing that he thinks he’s a she certainly ain`t love.

18. Connie Potter
    Connie Potter says:

I am constantly wondering, if a man “feels like a woman” or vice versa, there must be a hormonal imbalance. The first thing they do to begin the “change” is take female hormones (or vice versa); so why not, instead, give the man male hormones to help him feel like the man he actually is instead of going through this whole process of trying to turn himself into a woman. That seems like a simple enough solution, but I guess it doesn’t suit the agenda. :-(

• Jordan
      Jordan says:

“Doesn’t suit the agenda” – yes!
      They encourage woman to go to the state instead of expecting more from the child’s father.
      They encourage teens to experiment instead of learning self-control.
      They advocate abortion instead of abstinence.
      They teach conformity instead of liberty.
      Now they promote deviation when rehabilitation is what’s needed.

• jimbo
        jimbo says:

With the regards to the abstinence thing. Can you abstain from rape? I’m just curious because sometimes people abort after that too.

19. Rick Wilson
    Rick Wilson says:

Again, I am astounded that you all choose to focus on someone’s sexuality. Is this really all you think about all day is fantasizing about gay people and about people who are simply trying to live their lives s best they can?! Do you also dream about the sex lives of those who remain whatever sex they were at birth, but choose to not have children whether in marriage or as a single person? Do you really take such joy is criticizing other’s sex habits – why is it such a ‘calling’ for you to control other people in their most private moments? Does your Bible really demand that you are only fulfilled if other live as you think they should? You do not want to have gay sex? Then don’t. You do not have such deep anguish about your sexuality that you try to change as much of it as you can and be happy? Then don’t. Why must you judge others so harshly if they are not hurting you?

• David
      David says:

Why are you so offended by statements of truth? Nobody is condemning him/her to hell.
      My father was a alcoholic, my mother bipolar. In many was I had a very rough upbringing. I have forgiven them for their behaviors and neglect of me, but I assure you if I chose not to act upon my mind regarding, depression, self doubt, anger, unforgiveness, I would repeat history. I have chosen to avoid similar patterns of abuse both passive (example) & active to free myself & children from repeating toxicity.
      If an adult is attracted to 12 year old children and by some liberal bias and popular demand the statutory law changes to 12 would you then be comfortable with your 12 year old daughter having sex with a 30 year old.
      I sense you are condemning the author because you deal with unresolved guilt at some level in your life.

• Joseph Backholm
      Joseph Backholm says:

Rick Wilson, nothing was said about anyone’s sexuality or sex habits. It was about whether we should play along when someone wants to change their gender. You’re correct no one is hurting me, but bad ideas are hurting lots of people and when they are placed on the front cover of national magazines, they are asking to be discussed. So we are doing our best to expose bad ideas that, if believed, will harm people we care about.

20. Jerry
    Jerry says:

This is really just a case of “follow the money” nothing else. Bruce will probably make millions with his new “reality show”.
    What a crock, but is what the society we have to live in has become. Disgusting!!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!